If you have a friend who has only ever sampled cider out of a bottle that pours sickly sweet light brown liquid called cider and if you want to introduce this friend to true artisan cider they are likely to enjoy, your best bet it so put a French cidre from Normandy or Brittany in front of them.
We’ve recently been tasting a number of such ciders here at The Cider Journal and have found many to recommend. Ciders from Normandy and Brittany are incredibly distinctive due largely to the types of apples used to produce them as well as the unique production methods (keeving) that many use in their production.
What to expect from ciders hailing from Northern France? A delicate and expressive apple sweetness. Good tannin structure due to the bittersweet apples that dominate their cider blends. Low alcohol due to the fermentation being stopped at precise times leaving residual sugar in the cider.
Below are more than 25 French ciders to explore. All of them are or were available in the states. We’ve highlighted those that most impressed us.
- 2012 Eric Bordelet Poire Granit (5 STARS)
- 2012 Le Pere Jules Poire de Normandie (4.5 STARS)
- 2013 Cyril Zangs This Side Up Sparkling Cider (4.5 STARS)
- Apple Bite Cidre Bouche Biologique
- Cave de la Loterie Extra Brut Cidre Bouché
- Christian Drouin Pear Cider
- Christian Drouin Sparkling Cider (4.5 STARS)
- Cidrerie Daufresne Brut
- Cidrerie Daufresne Poiré
- Clos des Ducs Premium Hard Cider
- Clos Normand Brut
- Comte Louis de Lauriston Cidre Bouche Brut de Normande
- Dan Armor Cuvée Spéciale Cidre Brut
- Domaine de Kerveguen “Carpe Diem” Prestige Cider
- Domaine de la Minoliere Cidre Fermier Bio
- Domaine du Verger Brut Cidre Bouché
- Domaine Johanna Cecillon Cidre Divona
- Domaine Johanna Cecillon Nerios Cidre
- Eric Bordelet Sidre Tendre (4.5 STARS)
- Eric Bordelet Sparkling Poire Cider (4.5 STARS)
- Etienne Dupont 2012 Cidre Triple
- Etienne Dupont Organic Cidre Bouche Brut de Normandie 2012 (4.5 STARS)
- Le Brun Organic Cidre
- Le Lieu Cheri Cidre Fermier Brut
- Le Pere Jules Cidre de Normandie (4.5 STARS)
- Loic Raison “1923” Brut French Cider
- Manoir de Grandouet Cidre Fermier Brut